This crowd-pleasing gnocchi recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight comfort meal. Get all the flavors of chicken and dumplings without having to make the dumplings when you use gnocchi in their place.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Chicken & Gnocchi Dumplings
- 1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in peas and cook until the gnocchi are tender, 1 to 2 minutes more. Drain.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with flour in a bowl until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken to the pan (reserving the flour remaining in the bowl) and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add carrots, celery, onion, thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in broth and the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the stew is thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the gnocchi and peas and cook, gently stirring, until the gnocchi are hot, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 542 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 7 g total sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 730 mg sodium; 765 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (231% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat