This versatile “rice” goes far beyond your favorite stir-fry. Stop after step two, and let the cauliflower serve as a simple, light side to complement any main.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Stir-Fry
2 cups cauliflower florets (one large head)
2 tablespoons coconut or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 sliced red onion, divided
4 minced cloves garlic, divided
1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 thinly sliced small red chili
2 cups broccoli florets
1 julienned large carrot
1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat one tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 sliced red onion and two minced cloves garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about six minutes. Add cauliflower and season with coarse salt.
- Stir in vegetable broth and steam, covered, until broth has evaporated and cauliflower is tender, about six minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover.
- Wipe pan and heat one tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 sliced red onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes. Add two minced cloves garlic, ginger, and chili and cook one minute.
- Add broccoli florets, carrot, and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes. Season with a sprinkle of salt. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- For each serving, top cauliflower with vegetables and sprinkle with one tablespoon pumpkin seeds and one tablespoon cilantro.