A bit of sausage goes a long way in flavoring the creamy ricotta tomato sauce in this healthy and quick pasta recipe. While this recipe calls for macaroni with sausage, you can make this dish with any type of tubular pasta. It’s just the thing to satisfy your craving for comfort food in a hurry.
Macaroni with Sausage & Ricotta Recipe
Makes: 6 servings Active Time:
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces mild pork sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 12 ounces thin tube-shaped pasta, such as pasta al ceppo
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, combine oil, onion and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender.
- Just before the pasta is done, return the sauce to medium-low heat. Add ricotta and basil and stir until combined. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce and Parmigiano. Serve at once.