Makes 3 or 4 waffled pizzas
- 500 grams bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 330 grams lukewarm water
1. Mix flour, yeast and salt. Add water and mix until dough is shaggy and most of water has been absorbed. Turn dough out of bowl and knead until it’s just blended but not too smooth. Cover dough with bowl. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
2. Knead for 5-10 minutes until fairly smooth.
3. Let dough proof in a covered bowl for 5-6 hours.
4. Dust your work surface with flour. Punch down the dough, divide into pieces, place the pieces on your work surface and form each into a smooth ball. Allow the pieces to rest, covered by a cloth or plastic wrap. When you’re ready to waffle, shape each piece, pulling gradually on the dough to expand it. If it resists, let it rest a few minutes before continuing.
5. Calzone-style waffled pizzas may take as much as 15 minutes to finish. If you’re waffling the dough by itself, it should take about 10 minutes. In either case, check after about 5 minutes to see where things stand. Waffle irons vary tremendously.