One of the best known medicinal uses of aloe vera is its properties for treating burns and relieving the pain they cause. And its moisturising and healing powers can accelerate the healing process of a wounded skin area.
However, this is only applicable for minor or first degree burns. In the case of second and third degree burns, treatment will be prescribed by a doctor. So, here at GoNutriPro, we’ll explain how to treat burns with aloe vera.
- The aloe or aloe vera – both names refer to the same plant – is a plant with numerous benefits for our bodies, and it is also used in a myriad of beauty tips. It is particularly suitable for skin and scalp conditions, but you can read about this in more detail in our article on What are all the benefits of aloe vera.
2. Treating burns is one of the most common and practical uses of aloe, whether for sunburn or burns from cooking or fire. Aloe vera is only suitable for treating first degree burns; burns that are mild and superficial. In severe burn cases, you should go to the doctor immediately to have the burn examined and to determine the appropriate treatment.
3. For minor burns we can use aloe or aloe to relieve the pain and moisturise the affected area. There are several ways to do this using this plant, but the most common is to directly take an aloe leaf, cut it with a knife, extract the pulp and apply it to the burn. This is why it is always a good idea to have an aloe vera plant at home for use in cases like these. Don’t miss our article on how to grow aloe vera.
4. Likewise, it is also possible to squeeze the leaf to access the sap of the plant directly and spread it over the burned area. It is also very important to know how to cut aloe vera leaves so as not to damage the plant.
5. Another good way of using aloe on burns is by using aloe vera gel. You can use either a home or a commercial preparation found in natural stores and supermarkets. In this case, all you have to do is apply the aloe vera gel to the burned area and spread it well so that the skin can absorb it.
If you want to know how to prepare this yourself at home, you just need to follow our steps found in the article: how to make aloe vera lotion. To keep it properly, you must put it in a sealed pot and keep it in the fridge.
6. For the more prepared, there is another way to treat burns with aloe: aloe vera ice cubes. This way, as well as taking advantage of this plant, you will also be applying cold relief to the painful area, which can help minimise the pain.
However, it is important that we apply ice cubes wrapped in a clean cloth or stuffed into a plastic bag to avoid direct contact with the skin.